The Palomaesque Cocktail
The Paloma is a classic Mexican cocktail made with lime juice, tequila and grapefruit soda. Scott Baird, the mixologist who created this drink for Comal in Berkeley, makes his version with smoky mezcal, fresh grapefruit juice and Cocchi Americano, the sweet Italian aperitif wine.
- 1 ounce smoky mezcal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 ounce seltzer
- 1/2 grapefruit wheel
- In a cocktail shaker, stir the mezcal with the honey until dissolved.
- Add the Cocchi Americano, grapefruit juice, lime juice and salt.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake until well chilled. .
- Fill a large glass with ice and add the seltzer and grapefruit wheel.
- Strain the cocktail into the glass and serve.