The Mexican Mule
Man, I could really go for a Mexican Mule cocktail right now. We are in the process of looking for a new apartment and things are starting to feel a little stressful. The housing market isn’t great around here unless you’re selling so this hasn’t been terribly fun thus far. I’m eager to just find a place but I’m really not looking forward to the packing, cleaning, moving, and unpacking process that is yet to come. So like I said, I could use a fun cocktail!
I’m sticking with the mule theme but today I’m mixing things up and using tequila and grapefruit instead of the usual vodka and lime. I always recommend using a tequila that is 100% agave for a drink that tastes silky smooth. I normally go for a tequila blanco but a friend just gave me some Herradura which is a reposado style tequila and is aged in oak barrels for 11 months so I used that. The Herradura gave it a slightly caramely taste that I really liked, but you could go with any type you like. Whatever you choose, the Mexican Mule cocktail is pretty delicious and would be a perfect Cinco de Mayo drink!
- 2 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- Ginger beer
- Simple syrup or agave if desired
- Add the tequila and grapefruit juice to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well and then strain into a highball or rocks glass.
- Add ice to the glass and then top off with ginger beer.
- Add simple syrup or agave if needed.